General Information About Copyrights
Unless otherwise specified, all text, graphics, sound files, documents, their organization and other information on this web site (as well as any other web sites owned by ILPI such as Safety Emporium) are copyright 2022 by Interactive Learning Paradigms Incorporated (ILPI).
United States law affords civil penalties of up to $100,000 per incident for violation of copyright. We act vigorously and forcefully when we suspect that someone has misappropriated our intellectual property, particularly the contents of this web site. Copyright law requires us to pursue any possible violation in order to avoid dilution of our rights.
U.S. law (specifically 17 CFR 107) contains a doctrine of "fair use" of copyright materials, but such use is restricted to personal and academic uses under a very narrow set of circumstances.
What You Can Do Without Having To Ask
You are quite welcome to join the tens of thousands of other individuals, corporations, non-profits and government agencies that **link to** our publicly-accessible web pages from their own pages. Just don't put our stuff on your site.
If you want to print out a copy of a page for your own use, you are quite welcome to do so. If you are teacher or professor (but not if you are a staff member etc.), you may use certain materials in your courses within the narrow scope of Fair Use defined in the second link above.
However, remember that Fair Use includes a brevity requirement (limiting you to a short excerpt) and it also requires that "the decision to use the work and the moment of its use for maximum teaching effectiveness are so close in time that it would be unreasonable to expect a timely reply to a request for permission." As you can easily contact us by email and we respond to our emails promptly, this means that you should generally ask our permission under most circumstances.
Fair Use does NOT give you the right to post any of our materials on your own web site under ANY circumstance. But you are always welcome to **link to** our material so this shouldn't pose any problems. Moreover, it guarantees that the material will always be up to date for your intended audience.
Stuff That Requires Prior Permission
In general, we will gladly consider requests for the non-electronic reproduction of materials for safety bulletins, newsletters, campus training courses etc. if the following criteria are met:
- You contact us before you use the material and request permission to use it.
- You explain the nature of your organization and your role within it.
- You explicitly state the material(s) you wish to use and how you wish to incorporate them into your proposed use.
- The material(s) are to be distributed free of charge. For-profit organizations must pay a royalty fee if the material(s) are distributed in a form that is or includes printed ads or solicitations for goods, services, marketing, promotion and like actions.
- The amount of material is limited to what ILPI deems a reasonably small amount (usually 1 or 2 web pages worth of material).
- The circulation is limited to a particular group or organization.
- The material(s) bear the URL of the original page(s).
- The material(s) contain a statement to the effect of "This material is copyright 2022 by ILPI, http://www.ilpi.com/. Used with permission."
- The material(s) WILL NOT appear in any electronic format that is posted on a publicly accessible web or FTP site. This means that, for example, the material may not be included in an archive that is posted on a web site or included in an on-line training program, although a link to the original materials may.
- Other terms and conditions may apply as ILPI shall solely determine. ILPI reserves the right to grant or refuse such permissions for any reason. ILPI will not grant permissions of any sort to companies that, in our determination, (a) have made derogatory comments about ILPI, their clients, organization, products, systems or services; (b) represent or promote organizations, products or services related to alcohol, tobacco, firearms or pornography; and (c) are discriminatory on the basis of sex, race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, age, physical handicap or other improper basis.
Please email us your request, outlining precisely how you wish to use the materials and the exact extent (number of copies etc., distribution method). We will respond to you, usually within one business day.
Permission to use our materials will be in a defined context only. In no way do you have the right to reassign that permission to any other party. ILPI retains all rights to the materials and may revoke its permission at any time without cause or notice.
What You May Not Do
We expressly forbid any reproduction of materials on this site (beyond "fair use") unless approved by ILPI in writing. Specific behaviors we prohibit include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Reproduction of our web site content, in whole in or in part, in any electronic format on any web or FTP server (or similar file distribution system), whether or not it is publicly accessible.
For example, you may not take one of our pages and post it on your web site, even if it is behind a corporate firewall and will only be seen by your employees. If you have a compelling reason to do this, we will consider a licensing agreement.
- Distribution of our web site content or materials, in whole or in part, for any commercial purpose without a signed licensing agreement.
For example, you may not include the contents of one of our web pages in a book or CD-ROM without a written licensing agreement.
- "Overlinking" or altering the presentation of our content.
For example, the use of third party "smart tags" to create hyperlinks that did not exist in the original content is prohibited.
The use of software to block, alter, or add advertisments, popup windows etc. is expressly forbidden.
- Paraphrasing or "rewriting" our material. This means to, in any way, borrow ideas, organization, wording or anything else without proper acknowledgment and/or permission.
- Framing our content on your web site.
You may not display the content of our web site within HTML frames (or other such display methods) on another web site.
Send us an email and we'll be happy to answer any question you might have about our copyright concerns. We also appreciate reports detailing suspected violation of our copyrights.
Copyright 1998-2022 by Interactive Learning Paradigms Incorporated. All rights
reserved. This page was last updated: Tuesday, March 31, 2015.